81 PGA TOUR Champions players begin chase for the title on June 10
MADISON, Wis. (June 3, 2022) – Tournament host Steve Stricker, two-time defending champion Jerry Kelly and a plethora of U.S. and international golf legends highlight the 81-player field for next week’s 2022 American Family Insurance. The tournament field was announced today, subject to a final player to be determined following this weekend’s Principal Charity Classic and any player withdrawals prior to official play.
The annual PGA TOUR Champions stop at University Ridge golf course begins with first-round play next Friday. The second 18-hole round will be played on Saturday, with the final round on Sunday. Tickets remain available at amfamchampionship.com.
This year’s version of the AmFam Champ will include returning players like Stricker, Kelly, Fred Couples, Bernhard Langer, Jim Furyk, Miguel Angel Jimenez, Davis Love III, Retief Goosen, Colin Montgomerie and Vijay Singh. First-time AmFam Champ players will include Stuart Appleby, David Duval, José Maria Olazabel and Y.E. Yang.
“This year’s AmFam Champ has all the ingredients for another fantastic competition,” said Nate Pokrass, tournament director. “With Steve and Jerry, we have two beloved hometown stars facing legendary players from across the world. We have a strong field, a beautiful and challenging course and great fans to enjoy it all.”
Who’s playing in the 2022 American Family Insurance Championship?
All past winners of the AmFam Champ are back: Kelly, who won consecutive titles in 2021 and 2019 after COVID-19 caused the cancellation of the 2020 tournament, Scott McCarron in 2018, Couples in 2017 and Kirk Triplett in 2016.
Other noteworthy accomplishments of the field:
• 16 players with PGA TOUR Champions wins since the start of 2021 (multiple wins are noted parenthesis): Stricker (three), Jimenez (two), Langer (two), Stephen Ames, Doug Barron, Cameron Beckman, Alex Cejka, Stephen Dodd, Joe Durant, Goosen, Steve Flesch, Furyk, Kelly, Lee Janzen, Scott Parel, Dicky Pride.
• Seven members of the World Golf Hall of Fame: Couples, Goosen, Langer, Love III, Montgomerie, Olazabel, Vijay Singh.
• Five former No.1 players in the world: Couples, David Duval, Langer, Tom Lehman, Singh.
• Thirteen winners of the Masters, U.S. Open, The Open Championship or PGA Championship: Couples, John Daly, Duval, Furyk, Lee Janzen, Langer, Lehman, Love III, Shaun Micheel, Larry Mize, Corey Pavin, Singh, Jeff Sluman.
• Five winners of the former Greater Milwaukee Open/U.S. Bank Championship: Carlos Franco, Jay Haas, Billy Mayfair, Pavin, Sluman.
• Six recipients of the Payne Stewart Award, an honor presented annually by the PGA TOUR to a player who best exemplifies Stewart’s steadfast values of character, charity and sportsmanship: Furyk, Haas, Langer, Lehman, Love III, Stricker.
• Two Wisconsin natives who were among those who received invitational sponsor’s exemptions, Skip Kendall and Mario Tiziani. University of Illinois golf coach Mike Small will also play under a sponsor’s exemption.
The player field is listed below and posted on the American Family Insurance Championship website: amfamchampionship.com.
# # #
About the American Family Insurance Championship
The American Family Insurance Championship – also known as the AmFam Champ – is a premier annual PGA TOUR Champions tournament and community celebration in Madison, Wisconsin. Since its debut in 2016, the championship has raised $12.6 million for charity, with proceeds distributed by the Steve Stricker American Family Insurance Foundation to American Family Children’s Hospital and other non-profit organizations. The championship is a two-time recipient of the PGA TOUR Champions President’s Award, given annually to the tournament that demonstrates outstanding achievement in charitable giving, sales, attendance and economic impact, as well as intangibles that set it apart. The 2022 AmFam Champ will be held June 4-12, featuring Pro-Am competitions, 5K run/walk, charity concert, celebrity foursome and three days of tournament play June 10-12 at University Ridge Golf Course. For more information on the event: Web: www.AmFamChampionship.com; Twitter: @AmFamChamp; Facebook: American Family Insurance Championship; Instagram: amfamchampionship #AmFamChamp
About PGA TOUR Champions
PGA TOUR Champions is a membership organization of professional golfers age 50 and older, including 34 members of the World Golf Hall of Fame. The Tour’s mission is to provide financial opportunities for its players, entertain and inspire its fans, deliver substantial value to its partners, create outlets for volunteers to give back and generate significant charitable and economic impact in tournament communities. Follow PGA TOUR Champions online at PGATOUR.com, at facebook.com/PGATOURChampions, on Twitter @ChampionsTour and on Instagram @pgatourchampions.
All events are televised in the United States, with most receiving complete coverage on Golf Channel, the exclusive cable-television partner of PGA TOUR Champions. Tournament programming is available via 25+ TV linear partners in 145+ countries and territories, with 25 channels carrying long-form and/or highlights coverage, and 200+ hours of live coverage distributed in 135+ countries and territories. Programming is also available via the OTT platform GOLFTV powered by PGA TOUR in every market outside of the United States, excluding China and Korea, with live coverage distributed in 130+ countries and territories.